Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tempestuous Running



Last night I broke my routine just for this class. I go to the gym most every night for several reasons:
  1. My apartment doesn't have TV, so if I want to watch a program I take advantage of the gym's cable.
  2. I use exercising as an excuse to further procrastinate homework.
  3. Exercise.

Tuesday night is Cupcake Wars night. Unless you watch the Food Network channel this doesn't make sense. All evening long the Food Network plays episode after episode of Cupcake Wars. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you go watch it now! I forfeited my favorite pastry competition and reason #2 in order to read The Tempest. I have been reading the real book format of The Tempest, but I also have it on my . I opted to bring the Kindle with me instead of
the "real" book. As I was rounding the backstretch of Act III I looked over to the poor soul trying to read the fifth Harry Potter book as he ran. Running with a book that size appears to be extremely awkward, either that or he was just an awkward runner in general. I'll give him an A for effort though. I was bitterly grateful I had a lightweight, one handed, page-less format of The Tempest which allowed me to bypass the fumbling, off-balanced, flippity flipping of pages that running with real books offers.


Literature is changing. Had I wanted to, I could have bought The Tempest on audio, clipped on the iPod shuffle, stuck in tiny earbuds and ran without any interference at all. Technology has created easy access to hundreds of books online, audio an via Kindles, Nooks or eReaders.
Did you know:


Did you know:
  • A Kindle smells like rubbery, plastic batteries.
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix smells like fresh cut grass and sugar cookies...



1 comment:

Rachel Ontiveros said...

What a sacrifice! Cupcake Wars is the bomb.com and I certainly wouldn't want to miss it :)
Also, might I suggest that running with an awkwardly large and heavy book can get you buff biceps? That was probably that kid's plan all along.