Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Shot at Sonneteering

During Dr. Burton's fall semester class Early British Literature he assigned us to write a devotional poem. This was the first poem I have really ever written; besides a few limericks written for high school classes I have had very little poetry writing experience. I discovered that I like to write poetry! Since that assignment I've written a handful of poems, and I decided to share this one since it is sonnet-like (I know it has meter and rhyming problems), and we've been studying poetry this week.

Today a glass slipped from my hand.
This was not at my command.
It fell to floor, smashing into shards.
They all brushed it off in disregard.
I, however, was embarrassed.
It was a moment that is rarest.
Someone gasped, someone yelled.
My hand, it has rebelled.
The glass had fallen and shattered.
No one cared, but to me it mattered.
It had long broken before I was aware;
that glass and my hand are past repair.
Today was a reminder that this is forever;
I am my own deserter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really liked your poem! It was great! What was your inspiration in writing it?