Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Musings


1) Daily Shakespeare sighting comes from Ben Wagner


B) Thank you Jake for your post about Good Will Hunting quoting Henry V. I watched the movie as I got ready this morning, and it is now one of my favorite movies. That is one of my favorite parts about these blogs. We get to learn and try new things based off what others have recommended.

3) Have you ever searched "Shakespeare" in Twitter? Well, I did, and I could literally watch the tweets pile up. People are tweeting about Shakespeare every minute. I could barely keep up with the incoming tweets on Shakespeare let alone read the past tweets. My favorite tweet was from Kennedy-Nicole about her weekend drawing a comic about Shakespeare.

D) I was researching a bit of the history from Merchant of Venice before I start reading the play, and I ran across this article from PBS. Honestly, I didn't learn so much from the article's main point as I did a passing line from the author saying, "He was also an exceptionally good business man with a keen sense of what his audience wanted." I've always thought of Shakespeare as a writer not a business man. This line threw my preconceived perception of Shakespeare out. He was a business man. His plays aren't only famous now; they were famous as they were being written! Maybe this is obvious to some, but to me it was a revelation that Shakespeare wasn't writing for us, but he was running his own business. He was observing the world around him and writing plays that would appeal and relate to his neighbors. But they relate to as well? Has society not changed at all in the last 250 or so years? Are these characteristics of envy, war and love so ingrained in a person that whether they be good or bad characteristics they will not go away?

No comments: