Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Play Review: The Merchant of Venice

I just got back from the play tonight, and I loved it! Overall, I think the play was great, but three aspects stuck out the most to me.

  • The Narrator-- I liked the narrator addition to the play the most. Shakespeare's original piece does not have a narrator. Henry V had the chorus which acted like a narrator, but The Merchant of Venice had not outsider parts such as a narrator or chorus. The narrator was a sort of relief during the play. Throughout the hour I had to pay attention to Portia and Nerissa, Antonia, the kids on the ground and whoever was taking main stage at the time, so when the Narrator took stage I could take a moment and appreciate what I had just watched.
  • The Impromptu-- I'm sure the actors spent hours memorizing, practicing and rehearsing for tonight's production, but I loved the vagaries of the plays. There were no scene changes or backstage action. I was able to see what most plays take great pain in concealing. When Bassanio was talking to Gratiano at the conclusion of the court scene, I was able to see acting at its rawest talent. No time to rehearse or memorize; the play had a one shot rule.
  • The Costumes-- Did anyone else notice the clothes? Bassiano's blue tinted hair? As a once blue haired person, I loved this unique costume decision. Did you notice Antonia was wearing heels? The actress playing Antonia was tall already, but when she had 3 inch heels on she could look Shylock level in the eyes. During their conversing scenes it would have been weird had Shylock been looking down at Antonia! Did you notice Portia also had blue hair tints? This blue hair idea intrigues me, and I can't figure out why they did that. Ideas?...

No comments: