Friday, February 10, 2012

Wherefore Art Thou, Romeo?

"O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art though, Romeo?" I know where he is; he is in a state mandated curriculum in Wyoming! I issued a question to several teachers asking them what Shakespeare works they teach. I was more surprised by the unanimity of their answers than anything. In previous questions, the answers varied far and wide, so I assumed since they all disagreed on when to teach Shakespeare, they would also disagree on what Shakespeare to teach. I was wrong. I've wondered why Romeo and Juliet is so commonly taught in schools when there are better plays to be read. A teacher in Wyoming's public education system, Holly Peralta, explained why. The Common Core insists that in order to prepare students for state standardized tests and the ACT, Romeo and Juliet needs to be taught at the 9th grade level.

Along with Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer's Nights Dream and Taming of the Shrew, tied for second place as to what plays are taught to first time readers of Shakespeare. I found this interesting. A romantic tragedy and two comedies? A bit on the opposite ends of the scale, right? I'm interested to research more into the selection of first time Shakespeare reads.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://carolineindenver.blogspot.com/2012/02/mini-successes-in-life-of-drama-teacher.html

I ran across this teacher who is doing a play with 3rd-8th graders

thought is might interest you :)

Rebecca said...

That is very interesting. My first Shakespeare play was A Midsummer Night's Dream, in seventh grade, and then Romeo and Juliet in ninth. I have never read The Taming of the Shrew, though. . . I wonder what Romeo and Juliet has to do with Standardized testing and the ACT, though. . .